Student Travel Scholarships
The National Geographic Student Expeditions Scholarship Program provides financial support for students seeking educational summer experiences who could not otherwise afford them. In summer 2014, we awarded full scholarships to 23 students from all around the country, providing learning opportunities to students from a wide variety of backgrounds, and creating a richer and more diverse experience for every student involved.
Each summer, our scholarship students return home with stories of life-changing experiences that instilled in them increased confidence, global perspective, independence, and compassion for others. These transformation experiences are central to their development as students, leaders and global citizens.
Students completing 9th through 12th grades who are legal residents of the United States or Canada are eligible to apply for a National Geographic Student Expeditions scholarship.
The National Geographic scholarship program generally considers students whose parents’ combined income is less than $50,000 and who have few assets. Each year, we receive many scholarship applications, and allocation of scholarship funds is competitive.
Scholarship Application Materials:
We will begin accepting scholarship applications for summer 2016 programs in fall 2015.
We cannot accept Applications received via email or fax. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered. A complete application consists of:
1. Completed 2015 Scholarship Application Form
2. Copy of parents’or guardians’ most recent federal tax returns
3. Copy of student’s most recent federal tax returns (if applicable)
4. Statement explaining parents’ or guardians’ need for financial assistance based on financial obligations and assets
5. Applicant statement explaining why you would like to join a National Geographic Student Expedition and what you feel you can contribute to it
6. Two completed Teacher Reference Forms (include in sealed envelopes with application materials)
7. Copy of student’s passport (if applicable)
Mail completed applications to:
National Geographic Student Expeditions
345 Hickory Ridge Road
Putney, Vermont 05346
Support the NGSE Scholarship Program:
National Geographic makes an annual donation to the scholarship fund. However, the long-term success of this important program will depend on the generosity of donors. Your support is greatly appreciated! Make a donation.
Meet a few of our scholarship recipients:
Hear from some of our past scholarship recipients as they describe how they were impacted by their travel experiences with National Geographic.