Student Travel Scholarships
The National Geographic Student Expeditions Scholarship Program provides financial support for students seeking educational summer experiences who could not otherwise afford them. The program enables us to provide opportunities for students from diverse backgrounds and enhances the group dynamic and the learning opportunities for everyone involved. In summer 2013, we awarded full scholarships to 25 students from all around the country. They reported back that the experience had a significant positive effect on their lives and transformed their outlook on the world.
National Geographic makes an annual donation to the scholarship fund. However, the long-term success of this important program will depend on the generosity of donors. Your support is greatly appreciated! Make a donation.
Eligibility: Students completing 9th through 12th grades who are legal residents of the United States or Canada are eligible for a National Geographic Student Expeditions scholarship.
The National Geographic scholarship program generally considers students whose parents’ combined income is less than $50,000 and who have few assets. Each year, we receive many scholarship applications, and allocation of scholarship funds is competitive.
Scholarship Application Materials:
To consider an applicant for a scholarship award, we must receive the entire completed scholarship application by mail no later than March 3, 2014. We cannot accept Applications received via email or fax. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered. A complete application consists of:
1. Completed 2014 Scholarship Application Form
2. Copy of parents’or guardians’ most recent federal tax returns
3. Copy of student’s most recent federal tax returns (if applicable)
4. Statement explaining parents’ or guardians’ need for financial assistance based on financial obligations and assets
5. Applicant statement explaining why you would like to join a National Geographic Student Expedition and what you feel you can contribute to it
6. Two completed Teacher Reference Forms (include in sealed envelopes with application materials)
7. Copy of student’s passport (if applicable)
Mail completed applications to:
National Geographic Student Expeditions
345 Hickory Ridge Road
Putney, Vermont 05346